On Saturday, the New York Times released a report revealing that since 2002, Fox News and it’s top host Bill O’Reilly have paid at least $13 million to five women in exchange for their silence and to keep them from pursuing litigation about their sexual harassment claims.
Now, O’Reilly is firing back, and he’s not saying what anyone was expecting.
“I’m vulnerable to lawsuits,” O’Reilly said, according to Western Journalism.
Two of the settlements came last year after disgraced CEO Roger Ailes left his post due to allegations against him of sexual harassment.
“As we’ve made clear, there’s absolutely no room anywhere at our company for behavior that disrespects women or contributes to an uncomfortable work environment,” company spokesperson Julie Henderson said last year,
Fox News did not respond to claims about O’Reilly’s recent settlements, only saying it had investigated the matter. The network would only say that it “takes matters of workplace behavior very seriously,” and “Mr. O’Reilly is fully committed to supporting our efforts to improve the environment for all our employees at Fox News.”
“Just like other prominent and controversial people, I’m vulnerable to lawsuits from individuals who want me to pay them to avoid negative publicity,” O’Reilly said in a statement.
What do y0u think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.